Certified Nursing Assistant training providers
Here you will find information and links for Certified Nursing Assistant education.
IHCA CNA Online blended training program
IHCA has partnered with AHCA and CNAonline.com, to provide a blended CNA certification online course with 24/7 access to classes from smartphones, tablets or personal computers as well as in person, hands-on skills training.
The DIA approved curriculm is taught by nursing instructors, provide standardized, consistent training, use local preceptors or we can certify staff to teach the in person clinicals. CNAonline.com’s integrated CNA curriculum has been developed for aging care providers by the nation’s largest association of long-term and post-acute care providers, the American Health Care Association (AHCA).
For more information, visit CNAonline.com or check out this flyer. For assistance in receiving approval from DIA to offer this program in your facility, contact Julie Adair at 800-422-3106.
Iowa Area Community Colleges
Iowa's Community Colleges offer Certified Nursing Assistants training programs. These programs are offered several times a year in a variety of locations (see links below). The course prepares the student to work in a nursing home, home health care agency, or group home and/or hospital. The first 45 hours of the course are held in a classroom/lab and the remaining 30 hours of clinical will be in a nursing home. You will give patient care under the supervision of your instructor. At the end of this course, you must take the Direct Care Worker registry written and skills exam to be eligible for employment.
The Nurse Aide courses are offered for college credit and are prerequisites to the nursing program. After successful completion of the Nurse Aide 75-hour course, the student would then be eligible to take the Advanced Nurse Aide 75-hour course.
Des Moines Area Community College
Eastern Iowa Community College
Hawkeye Community College
Indian Hills Community College
Iowa Central Community College
Iowa Lakes Community College
Iowa Valley Community College
Iowa Western Community College
Kirkwood Community College
Northeast Iowa Community College
Northern Iowa Area Community College
Northwest Iowa Community College
Southeastern Community College
Signature Healthcare CNA training
Signature Healthcare's education division is a private medical job training center located in Waukee, Iowa. Their center provides state approved Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) training and Advanced CNA classes. To learn more, go to www.mysighealth.com and scroll to Become A Certified Nurse Assistant where you will find links to the class schedule, registration forms and more information.
Resources for Facilities to Offer CNA Training
Applications shall be submitted to the Department of Inspections and Appeals (DIA) before a new program begins and every two years thereafter on Form 427-0517, Application for Nurse Aide Training. The DIA shall, within 90 days of the date of a request or receipt of additional information from the requester: 1) Advise the requester whether or not the program has been approved or 2) Request additional information from the requesting entity.
1. 75-Hour Nurse Aide Program Application - Please fill this out in its entirety and email to email@example.com. The application is pre-populated with the Curriculum Title, Textbook Used, and Competency Entity Used.
2. Certified Nurse Aide Handbook – This handbook is in Word format so it can be modified as needed.
3. 75-hour Calendar – Include this with your packet as is. Please do not change it.
4. Chapter Objectives - Include this with your packet as is. Please do not change it.
5. Skills Checklist - This can go in the packet as is, or you can create your own or use this one with your own logo.
6. Instructor Credentials – Include the resume of the registered nurse (RN) who will be teaching the 30 hours of clinical and 15 hours of lab time, and a screen shot of the Iowa Board of Nursing website showing they have an active, unrestricted license. The following are the requirements to teach:
* The training of nurse aides shall be performed by or under the general supervision of a RN who possesses a minimum of two years of nursing experience, at least one year of which shall be in the provision of long-term care facility services.
* Instructors shall be registered nurses and shall have completed a course in teaching adults OR have experience teaching adults OR supervising nurse aides
* In a facility-based program, when the director of nursing is a registered nurse, the training of the nurse aides may be performed under the general supervision of the director of nursing for the facility. The Director of Nursing is PROHIBITED from performing the actual training.
* Other personnel from the health professions may supplement the instructor. Supplemental personnel shall have at least one year of experience in their fields.
7. CNA Checklist – Include this in the front of the packet to make sure everything is included.
8. Steps Required to Start a New CNA Online Class - Once you have submitted items 1-6 to the DIA and are awaiting approval, please follow the steps in this PowerPoint with Academic Platforms to begin to get the template made for your facility for the online curriculum.
If you need a CNA preceptor, view this list of already trained preceptors from Academic Platforms.
• Iowa CNA Preceptors