Iowa Health Care Association
1775 90th St.
West Des Moines, IA
February 20, 2018
8:30 a.m. Registration/Continental Breakfast
9:00 a.m. Falls Prevention Workshop
11:45 a.m. Lunch (Provided)
12:15 p.m. Falls Prevention Workshop continues
3:00 p.m. Adjourn
Fall prevention in nursing homes, assisted living and home care settings continues to be a major focus for quality improvement in patient safety. This workshop will review strategies that healthcare professionals can utilize to prevent falls and promote resident/patient safety. Discussion will focus on how to analyze the internal, external, system conditions and operations, which may have contributed to resident/patient falls. This includes a discussion that will highlight current practices that contribute to poor sleep and why it is so important to create a culture of restorative sleep as a fall prevention strategy. Attendees will be provided with interventions strategies that were the result of post-fall root cause analysis from a national recognized evidence based fall prevention program.
1. Identify a safe environment for residents/patients who are high risk for falls.
2. List physical factors that put residents/patients at high risk for falls.
3. Conduct assessments on residents/patients who are high risk for falls.
4. Understand how to properly implement interventions to residents/patients that are at high risk for falls.
5. Identify various medications that increase the risk of falls.
6. Understand how restorative sleep can be used as a fall prevention strategy.