BEST PRACTICES & STRATEGIES FOR FALL PREVENTION
The cost of a resident/tenant fall in a healthcare facility costs on average $9,100 to $13,500, according to the CDC. There are many proven strategies that healthcare professionals can utilize to prevent falls and promote resident/tenant safety. The goal of this workshop is to improve facility staff’s ability to identify and minimize risk factors for falls in seniors and reduce the risk of patient harm resulting from falls.
This workshop will provide an overview to the implementation of a comprehensive, nationally recognized, evidence-based fall prevention program. A key to the success of the program was the ability for the staff to conduct a post-fall root cause analysis. They were able to analyze the internal, external and system conditions and operations, which may have contributed to resident/tenant falls. Interventions that were used as a result of the post-fall root cause analysis will be discussed as well as the outcomes that were learned from this program.
1. Identify a safe environment for residents who are high risk for falls.
2. List physical factors that put residents at high risk for falls.
3. Conduct assessments on residents/tenants who are high risk for falls.
4. Properly treat a diagnosis that puts residents/tenants at high risk for falls.
5. Identify various medications that increase the risk of falls.
6. Identify medications not associated with falls.
February 25, 2016
8:30 a.m. Registration/Continental Breakfast
9:00 a.m. Falls Prevention Workshop
11:45 a.m. Lunch (Provided)
12:15 p.m. Falls Prevention Workshop continues
3:00 p.m. Adjourn